March Wrap-up // Ella

Saturday 8 April 2017



Hi there, it's Ella again - today with my march wrap-up and (non-existing tbr).
Let's just get started.

A Great And Terrible Beauty & Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle triology) by Libba Bray
✭✭✭✩✩

I read the two books of the Diviners series and I was all over for them. So of course, I wanted to read more of Libba Bray.
Unfortunately, I have to say, I did not really enjoy these books. They are beautifully written and I really like Gemma as a character, but wasn't able to really click with the story. Mainly, because I considered it really really  predictable.
So I decided not to read the last book.
Maybe I will do some day, but I don't feel enough compassion for the story right now.

Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde
✭✭

This was a really quick and fun read. I enjoyed the characters and the "geekiness" of the story. Very cool.

Paper Hearts #1 by Beth Revis
✭✭✭✩✩

This was just a nice collection of some writing advice by the author of the Across the Universe triology, nothing to special but enjoyable. I like how she said, that you don't have to constantly write and push through the story if you don't feel like it and how encouraging it was to hear, that she wrote a bunch of stories before Across the Universe, which weren't good enough then, but how she got better and better with every one.

Written On My Heart by Morgan Callan Rogers
✭✭✭

I did a review on this one.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
✭✭

I already read this one in German and practically in English but as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Well,... It took my a while to get into this, but it really got better and I could really enjoy it at the end.
I think it's quite hard to read classics in another language and maybe I will prefer reading them in German, since this is my mother tongue.
But because I read it in German before, I can say I truly enjoy this story anyways.

Supergods by Grant Morrisson
✭✭✩✩

At first, I thought it would be a nice, informative and light read, but it turned out I really had to push through this.
At the beginning, it told about the first superhero comics came to life and included a lot of historical background. This was what I wanted: a general overview of the development. But the more it went on, there suddenly were a bunch of superheroes, not well explained and I really lost track. There also was a lot of analysing of random issues or scenes, which I did not consider necessary. Though I liked the psychological point of view, this was a bit too much. I was happy when I was done.

Gebrauchsanweisung für Danemark ("Instruction for Denmark", German) by Thomas Borchert
✭✭✭✭✩

This wasn't a usual guidebook, but  looked at the countrys culture, politics and its people habits. I liked how it gave this insight on the living, rather than on the touristy aspects.

The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
✭✭✭

I read this years ago as a copy from my library and liked it so much, I bought one for myself. It's a mystical story about a witch who can bring beautiful woman out of seals. It's weird, a bit dark and definitely a story I never read something alike. 
If you're into fairy tales, stories of fishing villages and a hint of dark, twisted myths, go with this!

So far for my wrap-up.
I won't to an extra post on my tbr because *drum roll* I have only two books left on it! I am right now reading Red Queen with about 100 pages left. The other one is Everyday Tidying. It's a small book with everyday advice, quotes and storing hacks for tidying and decluttering. I will go through it which will take about half an hours and set some page flags. 

And then, my dream will come true: I will go to the bookstore or my supermarket, pick a random book (or two) which sounds good and read it read it right away. Boom.

Or maybe I will do a giant book haul.
However, that's all for now.

See you,
Ella.

No comments:

Post a Comment