May Wrap-Up // Ella

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Urgh, I know. I am super lazy with posting.
However, I just write this post now and hope for the better.
By the way: Hi there, it's Ella.


So here's my cute little wrap-up, but yeah, I am still happy with it.
Though you see, and Goodreads counted, six books, on actually held two.
And I read exactly those books which I planned to read, so that's always a plus.

Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis

✭✭✩✩

It was boring and I was really disappointed - not because I had too high expectations, but because it came in my first ever fairyloot. But yeah, it... sucked. I will post a short review soon. Like, "this week soon". Friday, I hope.

Modestrecke by Jessica Weis & Julia Knolle (German) / reread

✭✭✭✭✩

This was quick and fun and I immediately knew, why I loved this, the first time I read it.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

✭✭✭✩✩

Ok, so I was slightly disappointed by this book too.
This book was way too slow and way too few things happened.
After finishing this, I got the impression, it's rather a prequel to the actual story, which is about to happen in book two.
After I spend one week with this book, reading only a few pages per day, I forced myself to finally finishing it off. Then it got better. I read like 300 pages in a day and it turned out as a quick read, once I was into it. But still, it was told far too stretched for what happened.

Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea by Morgan Callan Rogers / reread 

✭✭✭

I wrote a review on it's sequel earlier this year and about a month later, I found this copy at a book outlet. I enjoyed it very much when I picked it up years ago from the library.
I immediately felt in love again and dare to say, the two books are my favourites.
It's just this wonderful atmosphere it creates, telling the story of Florines life after her mother vanished, that makes me want to read it over and over.
I highly recommend to check it out if you're into personal stories and enjoy books, which are less about an actual plot.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

✭✭✭✭✩

Though I have to admit I bought it because of the awesome cover, I was highly interested in the story too. It was wonderful written, you exactly felt what Starr felt and giving me her point of view just was a whole other world to me. I loved the relationship she had to her family. But seeing all the stuff going on after her friend was shot, this book left a deep impression on me.

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum & Petals in Ashes by Mary Hooper /reread

✭✭✭✭ & ✭✭✭✭✩

When you read about 400 pages in one day, you know, it's good.
My favourite book from years ago shouted for a reread, so I did. I enjoyed it very much, though I did not remember it being such a quick read, but was a slower reader back then anyways.
The historical setting in London 1665 & 1666 is well illustrated and that's what I love the most. I am all about the atmosphere I book creates. Tough now, being wise and old, I see Hannah as too naive and to "weak", I understand that you can't really make her modern day badass in the 17th century. But being a bit more sassy and strong would add a bit more to the story. But nevertheless, it was a five star read for me. 
The sequel is only a four star, because Hannah coming and enjoying London for the first time as well as the growing threat of the plague was the more enjoyable plot for me.

That's it, I'll be back with my review for Given to the Sea and my monthly post soon.
Also, I will challenge myself to posting everyday on instagram throughout June at least.

Bye then,
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment